Last week in the first part of our series of interviews with the co-hosts we found out all about Elzette Fourie, and in the gentlemanly spirit of “ladies first” our next interview is with the First Lady of #JobAdviceSA Vanessa Raath!
- What is the meaning of your first name?
Vanessa means Butterfly – My folks were hoping for a Prima Ballerina but not everything works out according to plan.
- What would be an appropriate movie title for the story of your life?
The Gods Must Be Crazy.
- What is the top of your bucket-list?
To spend more time in the Bush so I can really hone my Wildlife Photography skills.
- What’s the last movie/series you watched or book you read? What would you rate it out of 5?
Elite – a Spanish series on Netflix. 4/5
- What is your favourite #JobAdviceSA memory?
I think every time that someone tells us that we have assisted them to find employment and have changed their lives for the better is a highlight for me.
- If you could visit anywhere in the world that you’ve never been, where would you go and
I am very fortunate to have travelled extensively but I have kept South America for my retirement as I know that I can backpack through there for a few months.
- Who was, or is, the most influential person in your life?
This is a tough one as I like to learn something from everyone that I interact with. I believe that everyone has inherent ‘good’ in them and we should spend more time collaborating and learning from each other. So I have been influenced by a lot of people in my life, depending on the stage I am in.
- If money was not a consideration, what job would you be doing right now?
I’d love to work with children – I’m a qualified Teacher and I miss interacting with children. Something where I could work with disabled or underprivileged kids and really make a difference in their lives would be great!
- Tell us an interesting fact about you that not many people know?
I have Scuba dived with over 300 Hammerhead sharks, at one time, and I loved every minute of it!
- What is your favourite music artist/song/album?
There are far too many to choose from as I love such a diverse range of music. I like something that is light and that I can sing a long too!
- What is your favourite sport and what team do you support?
Personally, I love running and going to the gym, but I also enjoy watching sport from my couch. I mainly support the Sharks, the Springboks and Chelsea.
- What’s your claim to fame?
My claim to fame is having the nickname Squirrel before SourceCon made Purple Squirrels difficult but rewarding animals to find!
- Who is the celebrity/influencer/industry leader that you admire the most and why?
Too many to name but I will try – ones that stick out for me are Katrina Collier, Shannon Pritchett, Anne Wilkerson, Balazs Paroczay, Shane McCusker, Angie Verros, Jim Stroud and Bill Boorman.
- Which charities do you support?
I am happy to support any Charity that is in need but I am a big fan of the SPCA.
- What’s your favourite food/favourite drink?
I am not fussy and eat anything, but my favourite food is probably a good South African braai. As for drinks, I will usually order a G & T, a red wine or a Lemon Flying Fish, depending on my mood.
- What is your burning ambition in life/your career?
I want to leave a legacy of being kind and fair to everyone who crosses my path. I have a burning desire to help people, if they are willing to help themselves of course.
Join us every Monday from 4-5pm for #JobAdviceSA Twitter chat and follow @JobAdviceSA and our co-hosts @ElzetteFourie @TimJBarry @Van_Raath and @WeszMadz and don’t forget to like our Facebook page www.facebook.com/JobAdviceSA
Stay tuned for Part 3 of our interview series next week!